18.8.12

Cò an caora sin còmhla riut a chunnaic mi an-raoir?

The past few days have been interesting.  A very close friend whom I hadn't talked to in far too long contacted me through the interweb.  She lives in Scotland and it got me thinking about all things Scottish.  I decided to flip through some old bins to see if I could not find an appropriate record for the occasion.

This record is about as Scottish as it gets.  From Kenneth McKellar's lovely tartan socks to his in no way effeminate kilt to his half drunk on thick beer smile, this album cover screams your average Tuesday night in Glasgow!

"Roamin' In The Gloamin'" features a bunch of classic Scottish songs like "The Cockle Gatherer," "Scotland The Brave" and "Bonnie Wee Thing."  Although I am not a fan of anything on this album, you have to appreciate the cover.  He looks so proud... and drunk... which is also a measure of Scottish pride. 

I make fun of Scots and their raging alcoholism but stereotypes are based in fact.  Case in point, my friend messaged me this morning complaining of a hangover and disavowing tequila for all eternity.  I love that girl!!!

So yeah... Go to Scotland.  Drink your face off.  And get Kenneth McKellar's autograph.  And then drink some more.

Post Script... The title of this post means "Who was that sheep I saw you with last night?" in Gaelic... A common phrase in Scotland, I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment