5.4.12

Anthony Green/ Barry Stagg- S/T

I came across this record in a thrift store for a buck.  At the time it was still sealed, even though the corner had been clipped.  I had never heard of Anthony Green but the name Barry Stagg did ring a bell.  I wasn't really sure where I had heard it but I knew I had heard it. 

It turns out that this record is somewhat sought after.  Its not a $400 record by any means but there are those out there that do look for it.  Sadly, this is the less collectible version pressed on United Artists and not the original Gamma Records release.  Whatever the version and whatever the market value, its a great record.

Released in 1969, this record was certainly influenced by the hippie movement of the time.  A broad arrangement of instruments litter this folk (psychedelic folk?) album.  The opening track, "To Love Means To Be Free" sort of reminded me of "Listen To The Flower People" by Spinal Tap but in a good way.  It just led off the album with an airy, whimsical feeling that continued throughout the record.

Barry Stagg has gone on to record movie scores, musicals and even operas.  He now resides in North Carolina (via Montreal).  I couldn't find any information on Anthony Green.  If anyone knows anything about him or his whereabouts, please contact me. 

This is simply one of the best Canadian psych/ folk records from that era.  Period.  Worth every penny or worth every one hundred pennies.

Stats...
Artist: Anthony Green & Barry Stagg
Title: Self Titled
Label: United Artists
Matrix: UAS 6756
Year: 1969
Size: 12"
Speed: 33.3

No comments:

Post a Comment