17.4.12

Dumka- Thought Music and Song Featuring Dumka

Now as many of you know, I am a HUGE Ukrainian folk music fan.  I just can't get enough.  That whole polka vibe can get a party started better than Black Eyed Peas ever could hope.  Dumka are like The Strokes of Ukrainian folk jams; young studs who can not only rock an accordian but move like Jagger too. 

Some of the tracks, although vodka chugging anthems, contain a certain amount of mystery.  "Do Not Go To Parties, Hritz"  and "It's Raining, Who Will Take  Me Home," are two examples.  Why can't Hritz go to parties?  Is he simply a bad drunk or is there a more sinister reason?  Are the Ukrainian mob, known for feeding people borscht until they die of beet poisoning, after him?  Who knows... And who will take me home?  A sexy Ukrainian model named Svetlana or once again, the Ukrainian mob, who will likely steal all your toilet paper and sell it on the Kiev black market.  We can only guess... I guess that's where the "Thought" in the title comes from... It sure has me thinking.

I scored this record in my girlfriend's parent's basement (for free) and what surprised me is that neither parent is Ukrainian.  They must love the jams as much as I do.  A solid record for back yard keggers or simply sitting around getting wasted by yourself of Stoli.

Stats...
Artist: Dumka
Title: Thought Music and Song Featuring Dumka
Label: Heritage Records
Matrix: DMS-01
Year: ?
Size: 12"
Speed: 33.3

No comments:

Post a Comment