18.4.12

The Rockets- Rocket Rock/ Stardust

This is another 45 that seems to be a bit of a mystery.  I have searched high and low for information about it to no avail.  I can't even remember where I picked up this gem but I am sure I didn't pay much (or anything) for it.  I wish I could find some info on this band because this 7" is a total instrumental rockabilly classic.

"Rockets Rock" is a total ripper while the B-Side, "Stardust" is a little more subdued.  I am floored that the internet has nothing on this record.  I am sure its just a rare/ obscure record on a rare/ obscure label but songs this good seem to find a way onto sites like Waxidermy, Soul Strut and even Discogs.

Over the years, there have been many bands with the same name but it seems this incarnation of the band called The Rockets is a total enigma.  There have also been a few labels that are/ were called Saturn Records but none seem to be THIS Saturn Records.

If anyone has any information pertaining to this record, I would love to hear it.  Hopefully, I will be able to update this blurb in the near future and let everyone know a little more about a killer 45 that deserves more attention than it seems to have garnered since its release.

Stats...
Artist: The Rockets
Title: Rockets Rock/ Stardust
Label: Saturn Records
Matrix: CT- 28078 (410-300)
Year: ?
Size: 7"
Speed: 45

Side note... This record was pressed in Canada.  "Rockets Rock" was written by Marcoux, Ducas & Boivin.  "Stardust" was written by Page, Lachaine, Vincent & Desalliers... if that helps anyone...

Update... It turns out this record was released by Les Rockets.  An earlier incarnation was Andre Marcoux and Les Rockets.  I still don't have any information on this particular record or the label but The Rockets did release an album in 1961 called "Going to the Dance Party"  I am thinking this record may be a private pressing on a label created by the band but I am far from certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment