17.4.12

La Revolution Francaise- Quebecois/ Shoo-Doo-Bee-Do/ Chantons L'Ete

Les Sinners are one of my favourite bands to come out of the 60's Quebec garage scene.  When Francois Guy left the band to start La Revolution Francaise, he focused his musical energy on the Separatist movement of the day.  This 45 features the track "Quebecois," which sold over 100,000 copies in Quebec and became somewhat of a "national" anthem.

Politics aside, this 7" is a psych masterpiece.  You can really see the development in Guy's writing.  I am shocked that some hip hop act from Montreal hasn't sampled the A-Side.  The songwriting on this record is timeless.  It sounds as fresh today as when it was written in 1969.

I found this record at a garage sale for a nickel.  I am not too sure of the monetary value but I imagine it would be in the $25-30 region.  Surprisingly, a week after I scored this copy I found another at a Value Village for 99 cents.

I love the Quebec garage/ psych scene of this era and although I may not agree with the politics expressed on the record, I do appreciate the music.  This is a Canadian classic from a band that is rarely heard of outside Quebec.

Stats...
Artist: La Revolution Francaise
Title:  Quebecois/ Shoo-Doo-Bee-Do/ Chantons L'Ete
Label: Revolution
Matrix: R-2010
Year: 1969
Size: 7"
Speed: 45

No comments:

Post a Comment