19.5.12

Billie & De De and Their Preservation Hall Jazz Band

I scooped this record on eBay with about 15 others for a penny each.  If you are buying a record for a penny on eBay, its usually best to grab a bunch (if possible) to help offset shipping costs.  With this purchase I scored some nice records.  Lighting Hopkins, Pigmeat Markham, Hank Williams.  I bid on this one simply as  filler to make the shipping costs worthwhile.

I didn't realize how much I loved this old jazz style.  Normally, I am not a jazz guy.  I mean I dig some of it and as I get older I am finding that I appreciate a lot more than I used to but as a rule, no jazz.  But I friggin' love this record!  It makes me feel like sitting in a smokey bar, drinking stale beer while sharing glances with a girl I know is no good for me. 

There isn't a whole lot of purity in music these days.  Everyone is out to get something whether its fame, money, drugs, free salad with their meal.  But this is music.  Real music.  If this was heroin, it would be straight out of the poppy smack.  You can't help but fall in love with something so innocent even if most of the people who in times past danced to it likely broke every social taboo.  They couldn't help themselves.  They heard what I heard. 

And someone gave up this record for a penny!  There are certainly records out there that I feel are worth even less than a penny (Air Supply, Barbara Streisand, ughhh... effin' Nickelback) but this certainly is not one.  Plus, its even autographed!  How sweet is that?  A great score for something that was bought as a way to justify $18 shipping charges.

Stats...
Artist: Billie & De De and Their Preservation Hall Jazz Band
Title: Self Titled
Label: ???
Matrix: VPH/ VPS-3
Year: ???
Size: 12"
Speed: 33.3

No comments:

Post a Comment