14.5.12

Music For Hi-Fi Bugs

The family and I traveled this past weekend to visit my grandma for Mother's Day.  She lives in a tiny little town about 7 hours away and the drive is normally mind-numbingly boring.  The ride there was certainly no exception.  I guess I did buy some new sandals at a place on the way down so all was not entirely lost.

The trip home began early in the morning.  We had to go to my aunt's house for breakfast at some unholy early hour and then pack and leave.  I was not in the mood to be messed with.  We were about halfway through the journey home when I spotted an old cello in front of an old junk store.  I do not play cello.  I have never even held a cello.  But it was cool looking and being sold in a junk store.  I had to stop.

Upon further inspection, the cello was being sold in the right store as it was complete crap.  Weather-beaten, warped and useless, I felt I had wasted a stop that could have been better used to buy M&Ms at a gas station until I asked the owner if he had any vinyl kicking around.  His answer of "Oh... only about 5000" paralyzed me to the point in which I did not speak, only turn and quickly scurried into this magical junk shop with the shitty cello.


I only had about 10 minutes before my dad (My girlfriend, the baby and I were traveling with the parentals) would start to bitch so I knew I had to act quickly.  "Music For Hi-Fi Bugs" was sitting atop the very first pile I encountered.  I did not know, nor did I care what was on this record.  Any album with that title and with cover art this cool was a sure thing. 

It turned out to be a pretty solid jazz album.  The sleeve was in great shape and the vinyl was near mint.  I am not really sure why they figured bugs would dig jazz music or why they catered only to those with a Hi-Fi audio system but its still a cool album and certainly worth the $2 I paid for it.

I only grabbed 7 records in my 10 minutes to go along with a cool bobblehead piggy bank from the Bahamas but I will be taking a day trip back to this junk shop in the very near future.  It seemed to be unpicked and could hold a few grails in those dusty stacks.

Stats...
Artist: Conducted and Arranged by Pete Rugulo
Title: Music For Hi-Fi Bugs
Label: EmArcy/ Mercury
Matrix: MG 36082
Year: ???
Size: 12"
Speed: 33.3

No comments:

Post a Comment