13.3.12

Business Unusual... The Other Record Collection

Of all the rare finds in a thrift store/ yard sale, the punk album is the coelacanth. Older punk albums just don't show up in these bins.  I have found some stuff that resembles punk but pre-'85 punk albums are sparse.  I was surprised when I came across this sampler from 1978.  It features a few bands I already knew (Throbbing Gristle, U.K. Subs, Cabaret Voltaire) and some I had never heard of before (Vice Creems, Leyton Buzzards, Skunks)  The album starts out with an absolute ripper in "C.I.D." by U.K. Subs.  and continues to kill it on both sides.  My favourite would have to be the fifth track, "Consequences" by The Outsiders.  Its a slick punk beast with sweet fuzzed out lead guitar.  Nothing fancy, but nothing is fancy about this collection.

I found this in a pile of records that featured mostly Barbara Streisand and Loggins & Messina records.  So coming across gold like this was even more of a shock.  It came with the cello still on it ($1.99 price tag... I wish I had a time machine) and the poster insert was still with it.  That was the best part about this record.  Those posters were usually the first thing tacked to a wall when a record was purchased.  A great find even without the insert.

Stats...
Artist: Various
Title: Business Unusual... The Other Record Collection
Label: Cherry Red (CRI)
Matrix: CRI 3001
Year: 1978
Size: 12"
Speed: 33.3

No comments:

Post a Comment