27.3.12

Victor Buono- Heavy!

How could I not buy this record?  Just look at this cover!  Glorious!  I thought it might be some sort of novelty album with songs about Mr. Buono's portly stature.  It turns out it was a stand-up album with ramblings about Mr. Buono's portly stature.

Its actually sort of funny.  I mean he is certainly a one trick pony but his observational poetry about being fat is humourous.  And I think the titles of his "tracks" are probably the best part of the whole package.  "A Word To The Wide", Skinny Poems For Fat Lovers" and "You Don't Have To Be Fat To Hate Rome" are pretty friggin' funny.

Victor Buono came from a vaudvillian family and made his TV mark as a hired "heavy" on various detective series' including The Untouchables.  He was actually nominated for an Academy Award for his supporting role in Whatever Happened To Baby Jane in 1962.  His last major role was on Taxi playing the role of Jim's father.

I am pretty sure I bought this record for less than a dollar.  I can't remember where I bought it but I am certainly glad I did.  A solid investment.

Stats...
Artist: Victor Buono
Title: Heavy!
Label: Celebration
Matrix: CEL 1862
Year: ?
Size: 12"
Speed: 33.3

No comments:

Post a Comment